Thursday, January 7, 2010

Welcome parents of teen drivers and future teen drivers!

Parents: Did you know that if you’re a non-smoker in reasonable health, your life expectancy is in the mid-90s - but your teenaged son or daughter’s life expectancy is only around 78? THAT'S A DIFFERENCE OF 15 to 17 YEARS!

That's what my friend, the Actuary, told me. The difference is largely because so many teens and young adults die as the result of risky behaviors and poor choices.

Well - I'm the mom of a daughter who is the center of my family - and my life. That news was horrible for me because she was entering that teen-young adult danger zone. Being a professional writer and trainer, I began writing a book for her. It was full of information I felt she needed to know to get her through that disastrous time. I wrote chapters about bullying, eating disorders, drugs, smoking, and all the issues I felt she might face, but when I researched one topic - I stopped dead in my tracks!

Almost 5,000 teens die in car crashes every year! That’s more teen deaths than from sickness, drugs, suicide – or any other cause! I think I’d heard that statistic before but it never really sank in. That means 14 teens die in crashes every day! But that’s not the full story.

Another 300,00 are seriously injured! The injuries include life-altering burns, paralysis, crushed limbs and brain injuries that require years of therapy and change the victim forever. That’s 822 devastating injuries every single day!

And the biggest tragedy is that the overwhelming majority of those crashes could have been avoided. I’ve spent the last 2 years researching topics related to teens and driving and I’ve learned a lot.

Essentially, there are 3 keys to keeping teen drivers safe:
1. Their parents need to be actively involved in coaching, monitoring and preparing them for the road.
2. Teens need good, clear information so they can make wise choices.
3. Teens need lots of structured practice. (A few hours in a parking lot won’t do.)

And the good news is that there are lots of incredible resources available to parents if you know where to look for them. This blog is a way to share what I’ve learned.

Can I guarantee your teen will survive? Unfortunately, not. I sincerely wish I could.
Can I share lots of ideas, to help you talk to, coach, and monitor your rookie teen driver? You bet I can.
That’s what this blog is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment