Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I Pray that a Police Officer Gives My Daughter a Whopping Speeding Ticket!

... because that ticket could save her life.
If I don't know she's speeding or driving recklessly, I can't change it. She'll continue doing what she's doing until something terrible happens and I don't even want to think about that! I just don't get why some parents don't understand that.

6,000 teen drivers die in crashes every year. Every one of them was someone's son or daughter.

I bring this up because of what's happening in New Jersey now. Kyleigh's Law is a new law that requires teen-aged drivers to display a decal on their license plate. The force behind it is Donna Weeks of Long Valley, New Jersey. Donna lost her beautiful daughter, Kyleigh D'Alessio, in a crash in 2006. Since then, she's done everything in her power to make the roads safer for other teens.
Other parents should thank God for parents like Donna. The advantage of the decals is to identify teens with restricted licenses so police can enforce the GDL rules. If teens are driving after curfew or with other teen passengers, they can be pulled over, ticketed and their parents can be advised. A side benefit could be that teens would obey the law.

These are very good things! I've talked to too many parents who's lost sons and daughters in crashes and found out later that their teens had a need for speed or drove when they shouldn't have been driving. They wish they'd had the opportunity to talk to their teens about their behavior and change it, but it was too late.

My teen daughter, Emily, is the most precious thing in my life so I'm thrilled that there are rules in place to protect her. And if she's breaking a rule - I WANT to know about it. She'd pay for the ticket out of her own pocket, lose her driving privileges for a while and I'd send a THANK YOU card to the officer who stopped her!

It's time for people like Gregg Trautmann to parent-up. Greg is a lawyer who challenged Kyleigh's Law under the pretense of representing his son, Tim Dillon. Of course, Tim doesn't want any restrictions! He's eighteen and his brain won't mature for another 7 to 10 years! Tim is quoted in NJ.com as saying His little sister will be driving soon and he's fearful for her. "I don’t want her driving around with a sticker on her car that labels her a teen driver. I think it’s dangerous for her.” She could be stalked if some nut identifies her as a teen driver. (- Of course, without the decal - that nut could just look in the window!)
According to NJ.com, attorney Trautmann also "argued in court that the decals amount to an unreasonable search and seizure, and violate 'equal protection' rights because out-of-state drivers won’t be subject to them — unlike a speed-limit applicable to all drivers.
Of course that's a load of c--p too!
Thank heaven the judge saw through the nonsense and upheld Kyleigh's Law.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like to place a sticker, i want my child should be driving as a free driver as we are driving, but still like to have that sticker because her life is more important than that sticker and freedom. thanks Kyleigh's Law.

    GA Drivers Ed Course

    ReplyDelete